Monday 13 June 2016

Maria Sharapova banned for two years



Maria Sharapova has been banned by International Tennis Federation (ITF) after testing positive for using meldonium at Australian Open in January 2016.

She said, “I has been using meldonium as recommended by her family doctor since 2006 for some health issue.”
Before 1 January 2016, meldonium was not in the banned list of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
Earlier meldonium was known as mildronate that she explained, was not aware of that it put on the banned list.
The tribunal concluded that she do not use meldonium for performance enhancement, and her offence was unintentional.
She said, While the tribunal concluded correctly that I did not intentionally violate the anti-doping rules, I cannot accept an unfairly harsh two-year suspension. The tribunal, whose members were selected by the ITF, agreed that I did not do anything intentionally wrong, yet they seek to keep me from playing tennis for two years. I will immediately appeal the suspension portion of this ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).” on her Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment